Sunday, May 4, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake Muffins

When it's strawberry season in Istanbul, you know it's time to buy and eat as many strawberries as possible, because when the season is over, that's it.  Last year it was nearing the end of strawberry season, and I had about 250g of strawberries left in my fridge.  They were going to go off because you have to eat them right away.  I thought about making a strawberry coffeecake, but it was more work than I wanted because it involves cutting in butter and far too many bowls.  So I thought about muffins.  I was obviously feeling very lazy, because I didn't even want to cut up the strawberries.  I remembered my Surprise Muffins, where I use up the rest of whatever jam is left in my fridge by putting a spoonful in the muffins.  Then I thought - why not use a strawberry instead?  And so the Strawberry Shortcake Muffin was born.  So simple.  So good.  Hot or cold.

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE MUFFINS
adapted from Farm Journals Homemade Breads

2 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 C milk
1/3 C (75g) vegetable oil or melted butter
1 egg

12 strawberries with leaves and hulls removed

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.  
Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.  
Add wet ingredients to dry and stir with whisk just til moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
Spoon batter into greased tins or tins with liners filling 2/3 full.
Put one strawberry on top of each muffin and push down.

Bake 400F 25 minutes or until muffins are brown and toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from pan to cool or eat hot.

**For a slightly healthier version, you can replace 1/2 Cup of flour with 1/2 Cup wheat germ.


No comments:

Post a Comment