Sunday, March 15, 2015

Irish Scones


A long time ago, I went to Ireland with a friend whose family lived there.  We had a great time visiting Dublin and taking trips all around the country.  The highlights were the Bogman's Ball in Connemara, and the delicious rock buns that were everywhere to have with your tea.  I found a postcard with this recipe on it for "Irish Scones" and brought it home with me.  I've been making them ever since.  No, they are not my beloved rock buns, but they probably have way less calories, and they are very easy to mix up.  You don't even need eggs!   I like to make them mini- so I can eat more.



IRISH SCONES

2 1/2 C flour
1/4 C oats
1 t baking soda
1 t cream of tartar
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 C (57g) cold butter
1/2 C raisins or currants (chop the raisins into smaller pieces for mini scones)
1 C buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400F.  Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Cut in butter with pastry blender.  Add raisins and mix slightly.  Pour in milk and mix til dry ingredients are moistened. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and pat into a 3/4” thickness.  Cut out circles or other shapes.  Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve hot with butter or jam.  Makes 12 rounds or triangles.  Or about 36 mini scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment