Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pizza Bianca


My sister likes to cook and bake as much as I do.  We both like recipes from Cooks Illustrated, in part, because they always explain why you need to follow the directions on their recipes and they are very scientific about it all.  When I first had this pizza at my sisters, I thought it was amazing.  I asked her for the recipe, and she gave it.  The first time I made it I thought I was doing it wrong.  The dough is more of a sponge and it pours in to the rising bowl and the pizza pan in a sticky gelatinous blob that looks like something out of an Alien movie.  However, it does taste delicious!
My sister makes the pizza with sausages.  They are too hard for me to find here, so I often top it with red pepper slices.  A few more veggies never hurt anyone.

Pizza Bianca (from Cooks Illustrated)


3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 cup water, room temp

1 1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4 tsp sugar

Mix together flour, salt, water for 3-4 minutes at medium speed with dough hook, until all flour is incorporated. Let stand 15-20 minutes at room temp. Add yeast and sugar, mix slowly until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down bowl, then mix 6-10 minutes at medium speed. The dough will be sticky and wet.

Meanwhile, put 1 tbsp olive oil into a bowl and rub all over the inside.

Add the dough, turn to coat (it will be tricky but will work out) and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit at room temp for 2-21/2 hours.

Meanwhile, put 2 T olive oil into a 1/2 sheet pan (I think it is about 11 x 16) and rub to coat the bottom and sides. 

Pour the dough into this pan and try to spread it to the corners. I use a greased spatula to help.  If it doesn't spread, wait 5-10 minutes and try again. Let rest 10 minutes, then prick with a fork 30-40 times lightly.

Bake crust 15-20 minutes at 450 then remove from oven, add toppings as below and bake another 5-10 minutes.

Toppings:
14 oz can diced tomatoes, well drained; mix with little black pepper, little red pepper, oregano.
Sprinkle 1 C shredded italian cheese mix on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment