Saturday, May 17, 2014

Chipotle's-Style Barbacoa Burritos





One of the things I miss most living overseas is Chipotle's burritos!  I tried several recipes, until I finally found this one posted by "Golden Nugget Gourmet" at Food.com.  And I have to say--she nailed it!  The other recipes I tried did not have vinegar, and it seems to be the ingredient I always felt was missing.  I substituted chicken for the roast beef to make a bit lighter fare, and left out the bay leaves as I didn't have any.  I put sliced onions in to cook with the meat, because why not?   Oh, and I cooked it in a pan on the stove to reduce cooking time, although I've also done the crock pot method.  Either way works.  It does taste better after you shred the meat and let it soak in the juices for about half hour before serving.


Ingredients

    • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
    • 4 teaspoons cumin
    • 2 teaspoons oregano
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 3/4 cup chicken broth
    • 3 bay leaves
    • 3 tablespoons lime juice
    • 3 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo
    • 4 -5 lbs chuck roast



  1. To make the adobo sauce combine vinegar, limejuice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or processor on high speed until smooth.
  2. Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
  3. Pour oil into a frying pan and sear all sides of roast on medium-high heat until browned.
  4. Place meat into Crockpot and pour adobo sauce over meat.
  5. Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves.
  6. Cook on high heat 6 hours or on low all day.
    Serve on flour tortillas with black beans, rice, cilantro, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, salsa, grated cheese--whatever you fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment