Sunday, April 20, 2014

What's On Hand Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

Barb's Easy Chicken Noodle Soup


Sometimes I challenge myself to see what I can make without having to bundle up to trudge to the grocery store in ankle deep snow, and this meal was a result of that challenge.   I happened to have:


1 Tb Olive Oil
2 medium carrots
1 medium onion
1 stalk celery

2  Chicken breasts
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1/4 bag of Taglietelle noodles

1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Thyme
salt, pepper to taste

Chop the carrots and onion and celery and sweat them in a soup pan with a little olive oil. (Note:  celery is difficult to find where I live, so I made it without and it tasted fine!)
 Add the chopped chicken breast just as the vegetables finish and lightly sear the outside.
Next, add the chicken stock and water (you can use all chicken stock if you like it richer) to the pan and and simmer for 20-30 minutes.   (I also did not have any chicken stock, so I used 4 cups of water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes.)
 After 20-30min, drop in the taglietelle noodles (mine were the broken remains of a bag--break them into manageable pieces).  Add in the herbs and salt and pepper to taste.  Adjust water/chicken stock as needed.

I made Egg Salad to go with it--also a super easy version:

Egg Salad Sandwiches


4 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup mayonaise
1 Tb  mustard (prepared yellow mustard, like French's)
1 tsp  sugar
1 tsp red wine vinegar or apple vinegar

Combine mayo, mustard, sugar and vinegar in a bowl.  Mash the eggs in another bowl, adding in dressing a little at a time.  Serve on toast with some cut up tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment