Sunday, April 27, 2014

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

Comfort food.  Is there anything better on a cool, gray afternoon than Oatmeal Raisin cookies and a glass of milk or a cup of tea?
Sometimes I make them with a mix of raisins and dried cranberries, when I can get my hands on them!  Because I live in Istanbul, I have to use golden raisins as all dark raisins come with seeds and who wants to seed 1 1/2 cups of raisins?  We've only just gotten access to dried cranberries.  Before last year I had to bring them from the US when I visited.  You can see, it's the little things that make us happy!
This recipe is a combination of one my mom used to make and one my sister makes.  The spices make them very tasty indeed!


OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1 c (226g) margarine
3/4 Cup white sugar
3/4 Cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract 

2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t cloves
2 c quick oatmeal
1 1/2 Cups raisins and/or dried cranberries

Cream together margarine and the sugars.  Add the eggs and vanilla.  Mix together the flour, baking soda salt and spices and add to the rest.  Stir in oatmeal and raisins or dried cranberries. Bake at 350F for 9- 12 minutes depending on whether you like them chewy or crunchy and whether you make them big or small.  Let them sit on the baking sheet a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment